Monday, September 5, 2011

The times they are a changing..........

Sometimes life just gets in the way of things you want to do. This blog is a fine example of that. I enjoy writing my musings, observations, etc. However, the demands of work, family and life always seem to get in the way. I really long for the days when people could stop and take time to smell the roses. I'm not sure, exactly, when it happened but the times have changed and not necessarily for the better.

Gone are the days when you had an extra hour or two to do whatever you wanted. I remember when I could go fishing for a day and not feel guilty about it. Maybe it's the demands that a family and work life put on you. Gone (for me, at least) are a simple 40 hour work week. If I put in less than 50 per week, I feel like a lucky man. But even when I work 50 hours per week, there's still football practice for my son and soccer practice for my daughter (I got talked into coaching the team this year which is another blog entry altogether about coaching 15 girls under the age of 12). Add to all of that the demands of being a husband and work around the house and it's amazing I still have time to read a book.

Sadly, I don't have an answer on how to change this. Maybe we can't. But it doesn't mean we can't long for the good old days where we had time to enjoy friends and family, because in the end, that's all you'll be left with. They don't put luggage racks on a hearse. Enjoy the ones you're with. They won't be there forever.

I want to give a special shout out to a good buddy of mine, Tim. Today is his birthday and again, because life gets in the way, I can't be there to share it with him. But, he's one of my best friends and no matter where I go, I always cherish his friendship. He'll give you the shirt off his back and never ask for it in return. Happy Birthday, Old Buddy. One day, you and I will hit the road on the BBQ circuit. Just not today because as always, life gets in the way.